Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sprite Comic Adverstisements

      While scourging the web for more information about different styles of webcomics, I found a few advertisements that caught my eye. At first, I thought these were banners advertising for classic videogames because I remembered some of the featured characters such as Samus and Megaman from my Gameboy days as an adolescent. However, after clicking on the banners, I was surprised to find that they linked to webcomics! These webcomics used the backgrounds and characters from videogames with overlaid dialogue with hilarious and unique results. After a bit of research, I discovered that these comics were known as sprite comics because the pixilated videogame characters used in them are called sprites. The ease of creating these comics has caused the internet to be populated heavily with a wide variety of sprite comics. They often use jokes that refer to the videogames that they were born from, but also create new stories with the sprites. If you’ve ever played Megaman, Metroid, or Final Fantasy and want to reminisce about these classic videogames, check out Bob and George, Planet Zebeth, and 8-Bit Theater. I know that seeing these webcomics really made me feel like a kid playing my Gameboy again.

8-Bit Theater Banner Ad

Bob and George Banner Ad

Planet Zebeth Banner Ad

No comments:

Post a Comment